London [UK], Feb 14 (ANI): Minnie Driver has become the first celebrity to quit as an Oxfam ambassador following allegations senior staff in crisis zones paid for sex with locals.
The actor, who has been working with the charity for nearly two decades, said she was "nothing short of horrified" by the allegations against it.
"I am nothing short of horrified by the allegations against Oxfam International. In no uncertain terms do I plan to continue my support of this organization or its leaders. And though it is unfortunate that after 20 years I am no longer able to advocate and defend through this specific framework, social and economic injustice is more globally prevalent than ever," the 'Good Will Hunting' star told The Telegraph.
"I certainly will not let the abhorrent mistakes of a troubling organization stop me or anyone else from working with good people in this space to support a population of human beings around the world that needs our help."
The 48-year-old later said on Twitter that she was "devastated by the response" of Oxfam which she had been "raising awareness for since I was nine years old".
"All I can tell you about this awful revelation about Oxfam is that I am devastated. Devastated for the women who were used by people sent there to help them, devastated by the response of an organization that I have been raising awareness for since I was 9 years old #oxfamscandal"
All I can tell you about this awful revelation about Oxfam is that I am devastated.Devastated for the women who were used by people sent there to help them, devastated by the response of an organization that I have been raising awareness for since I was 9 years old #oxfamscandal— Minnie Driver (@driverminnie) February 13, 2018
The British charity is accused of concealing the findings of an inquiry into claims staff used prostitutes while delivering aid in Haiti in 2011. (ANI)