Key signs to look out for Flu symptoms in babies, adults
ANI | Updated: Nov 03, 2017 11:14 IST
London [UK], November 3 (ANI): There is a lot of difference between a cold and flu, while a cold slowly builds over a few days, symptoms of the flu typically come on suddenly and you'll start to feel ill within a few days of becoming infected.
If you meet any of the following categories, then you should consider visiting your doctor.
The categories are:
- You are 65 years of age or over.
- You're pregnant.
- You have a long-term medical condition - such as diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease or a neurological disease.
- You have a weakened immune system - for example, because you're having chemotherapy or have HIV.
- You develop chest pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, or start coughing up blood.
- Your symptoms are getting worse over time or haven't improved after a week.
Influenza viruses annually affect about a billion people worldwide, and cause 250,000 to 500,000 deaths, mainly in the over-65 age group.
The flu burden in India is huge; the total number of cases until October 1 this year had crossed 36,000 countrywide, and the number of deaths was close to 2,000.
While people feel horrible for a few days, take comfort from the knowledge that in most cases it will soon pass. (ANI)