Most of the buildings are not designed and built in accordance with the requirements of environmental protection and are therefore energy-inefficient and costly to maintain.
"But Modern architectural aesthetics is dependent on sustainable development so as to strike a balance between man and nature," said Rimpi Pillania, Architect, Tribeca Developers.
- Environmentally sustainable buildings attempt to minimize a building's environmental impact through energy and water efficiency methods, use of sustainable materials and landscaping that considers a site's biodiversity and existing natural features.
- Problem solving requires implementation of certain design principles and application of different materials and systems for producing and saving energy.
- Orienting your space with respect to the sun definitely, tops the lot.
- Design elements such as double-glazed windows for insulation, roof vents that allow hot air to escape, window shading, a light-coloured roof to reflect heat can all improve a building's energy efficiency.
- Constructing a sustainable building means using appropriate materials in the most efficient way possible. One of the most important aspects of the architecture is a selection of sustainable building materials that are least energy-intensive over their entire life cycles, the materials that can be recycled after use and reused in a new object.
"A strong impact can be created by promoting public participation. Sustainability as a concept has to be advertised in a strong manner. Creating awareness through carefully designed products/ structures can help in changing mindsets that are part of people's everyday lifestyle," said Anushka Anand, Interior Architect, House of Oya.
Anand further said that sustainable materials not only help the environment but also add newness to the designed products.
"Sustainable architecture is also more economical. It might have a higher initial investment but it cuts down the running cost of the structure," she concluded.(ANI)