Attack on Indian student in Milan not a racial attack, confirms Swaraj
ANI | Updated: Oct 31, 2017 22:19 IST
New Delhi [India], October 31 (ANI): External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday confirmed that the attack on Indian students in Milan was not a case of racial attack but robbery.
Sushma took to Twitter saying, "I've spoken to concerned student. He told- this was a case of robbery and not a racial attack," (sic)
Attack on Indian students in Italy - I have spoken to the concerned Indian student in Milan. /1— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) October 31, 2017
He has told me that this was a case of robbery and not a racial attack. /2— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) October 31, 2017
Earlier in the day, Sushma urged students not to worry as she was personally monitoring the situation.
"Attack on Indian students in Milan: I have got the detailed report. Please do not worry. I am monitoring the situation personally," Sushma Swaraj said in a tweet.
Sushma's remarks came a day after the Indian Consulate in Milan said that it has received reports of attacks and cautioned students to stay away from any area perceived to be of risk.
Yesterday, Indian consulate in Milan said it had received reports of unfortunate incident of attacks on the Indian students in Italy's metropolis.
"All Indian students are urged not to panic. The consulate is taking up this matter with the highest level of law and order authorities in Milan," it said.
The consulate has also asked students to approach the consulate and spread information among others to avoid recurrence of such incidents.
"Students are advised to be in touch with each other (particularly when they go out) as well as with the Consulate and spread the information among other students about the areas where they face such incidents so that such areas can be avoided," it further said.
The incident has come at a time when Italy and India reaffirmed their commitment to strengthen bilateral ties during Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni's visit that concluded on Monday. (ANI)