Bollywood should take stand against Pak artists: Babul Supriyo

ANI | Updated: Feb 19, 2018 10:01 IST

Bardhaman (West Bengal) [India], Feb. 19 (ANI): In the wake of numerous ceasefire violations and recent militants attack in Jammu and Kashmir, Union Minister Babul Supriyo on Monday said the time has come for the Bollywood stars to take a stand against Pakistani artists.

"Bollywood, as an industry, can influence people. If film stars take a stand, it will be good for India. Pakistani artists should not be encouraged to work in India," Supriyo told ANI.

The Union Minister further said the promises that were made by the film fraternity ahead of the release of Karan Johar's flick 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' were not fulfilled.

"I think the mindset of solving the tension between India and Pakistan with cricket and music is no more applicable. Pakistan is a terrorist country. Our soldiers are being constantly targeted and killed along the border," said Supriyo.

This is not the first time that such statements have been made, earlier in September; the Indian Motion Picture Producers Association (IMPPA) passed a resolution to ban Pakistani actors from the industry in the wake of the Uri attack

"IMPPA in their 87th annual general meeting passed (a resolution that) no Pakistani will be hired by their producer members forever," producer TP Aggarwal, the president of IMPPA had said.

Many political parties had also issued notices demanding a ban for Pakistani artists working in India.

Raj Thackeray-led MNS had also issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Pakistani artistes and actors including Fawad Khan and Ali Zafar, to leave India or else they would be "pushed out".

The Uri Army base in Jammu and Kashmir was attacked by heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists on September 18 in which 18 soldiers were killed. (ANI)

iocl