Cylone Ockhi: 275 fishermen missing, says Rajnath Singh

ANI | Updated: Dec 22, 2017 18:23 IST

New Delhi [India], December 22 (ANI): Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday said the total number of missing fishermen, who were trapped in cyclone Ockhi, has decreased to 275 from 433.

"Initial figure of missing persons was 433, now after return of some of them, the number of missing remains 275," Singh said in the Lok Sabha.

He further said that 18 ships of Navy and Coast Guard were still conducting search operation to track the remaining missing fishermen.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, earlier on Tuesday, announced relief measures for Cyclone Ockhi-affected states. He said that the Union Government would support the cyclone-affected states through a package of relief measures.

The Centre will dispatch immediate financial assistance worth Rs 325 crore to cater to the requirements of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Lakshadweep. The financial assistance announced by the Prime Minister today, is over and above the assistance of Rs 280 crore to Tamil Nadu, and Rs 76 crore to Kerala, disbursed earlier this month, after Cyclone Ockhi hit the two States/UTs (Union Territories).

The prime minister announced this after meeting and interacting with people, including fishermen and farmers, affected by Cyclone Ockhi. (ANI)

iocl