Supreme Court of India
Supreme Court of India

'Enough is enough': SC transfers Muzaffarpur shelter home case to Delhi

ANI | Updated: Feb 07, 2019 17:28 IST

New Delhi [India], Feb 7 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Thursday transferred the trial of the Muzaffarpur shelter home sexual assault case from Bihar to a Delhi court and ordered the judge to complete the trial within six months.
A bench headed by Chief Justice of India, Ranjan Gogoi transferred the trial of the Muzaffarpur case, where minors were allegedly abused physically and mentally, to Saket district court in Delhi and ordered that it should be heard by a Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) court, since the victims are minors.
The apex court was upset with the Bihar government’s standing counsel's inability to respond to the queries by the bench.
"We direct the transfer, also trial should commence in two weeks. Complete the trial within a period of six months. Trial court judge will not seek an extension of time. Bihar government to extend full support and cooperation to CBI and to ensure witnesses are available and the case is transferred,” a bench headed by CJI Gogoi said.
During the hearing, the bench warned that it could summon Bihar’s Chief Secretary to explain the situation in the state.
“Enough is enough. We are going to ask some questions and if you (counsel of Bihar) are not aware, we will ask Bihar Chief Secretary to appear before us.. You can’t let your officers treat unfortunate children like this. Spare the children. Patna is very well connected. he can be here in two hours. We are asking how are you running the government, we are not interested in running your government,” CJI Gogoi said.
Meanwhile, the top court also came down heavily on the central government and the CBI for transferring a CBI officer probing the Muzaffarpur case despite its embargo against the transfer of investigating officials.
“Was the cabinet committee which transferred him informed of Supreme Court embargo?”  asked the CJI.
The bench has now posted the matter for hearing at 2 pm again when CBI is expected to give an explanation on why its officer was transferred.
More than 40 minor girls were allegedly sexually assaulted over a period of time in the shelter home which was run by state-funded NGO by Brajesh Thakur.
Subsequently, the NGO was blacklisted and the girls were shifted to other shelter homes in Patna and Madhubani.
Brajesh Thakur is currently lodged in the Patiala jail after the Supreme Court on October 25, last year ordered the transfer of Thakur to a jail outside Bihar saying that he is an influential man and is obstructing the investigation. (ANI)

iocl