"The Andhra Pradesh Janmabhoomi Initiative which commenced on January 18, 2016, was created in alignment with the vision of the Chief Minister N.Chandrababu Naidu and the Government of Andhra Pradesh, alongside the Special Representative for North America, Shri Jayaram Komati," read a press note.
"It is the flagship social initiative of the Government of Andhra Pradesh comprising of three schemes- Digital Classrooms, Anganwadi Centers and Crematoriums. The Andhra Pradesh Government facilitates this platform by providing aid covering 70% of the total cost. The remaining 30% is funded by NRIs," it added.
The digital classroom project, with active support from the Department of School Education along with the NRI diaspora, aims to assist schools in co-opting a technology-driven study environment so that children can learn and perform better.
The initiative is aimed at working towards providing digital content from leading service providers in both English and Telugu. The objective seeks to establish digital classrooms in 5000 government schools by 2018.
In the press note, Mr. Jayaram Komati, the representative of the programme, has been quoted as saying, "It is not just poor students who benefited, but there is renewed interest among the NRIs to do something for their place of birth and the schools where they have spent their childhood. These schools have become a must destination for NRI donors during their visit to India."
"There 2400 schools have been digitised since October 2016; on an average 6 digital classrooms are added every day impacting over 7 Lakh Students which also improved attendance rates by 17%. As the initiative progresses, it plans to establish 204 new digitised classrooms in the State of Andhra Pradesh," the statement further reads. (ANI)