AgustaWestland scam: Court extends custody of Tyagi, other by three more days

| Updated: Aug 23, 2017 11:20 IST

New Delhi [India], Dec. 14 (ANI): The Patiala House Court on Wednesday extended the police custody of former Air Force chief S.P. Tyagi, his cousin Sanjeev alias Julie and Delhi-based lawyer Gautam Khaitan by three more days in alleged irregularities in the Rs. 3,600 crore AgustaWestland VVIPs chopper scam. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had sought an extension of all the accused for seven more days as their four-day custody ended today. The CBI told the court a senior official from Agusta met Tyagi at his residence, which seems abuse of his official position. Reacting to the CBI's allegation, Tyagi's counsel alleged that the court has all the material with them, but the former's counsel is reiterating all these details for the media. Citing a High Court rule, Tyagi's counsel said non-completion of police investigation doesn't justify detention of the accused. Tyagi's counsel further said the former is 71-year old, had a bypass earlier, and has been in custody for nearly a week without any treatment, how CBI can ask to extend it (the custody), adding that "the CBI is humiliating a war hero by their act in the court". Accused has appeared before the CBI even when he was summoned by a phone call. His cousin was also called earlier and they were made to confront each other, said Tyagi's counsel. Gautam Khaitan's counsel was not present in the court today. Earlier on December 10, the Patalia House Court sent all the accused to four-day police custody. The CBI has alleged that the kickbacks paid to former Air chief Tyagi for the deal was invested in the purchase of agricultural land by his family. Defending his stand and refuting the money laundering charge against him, former Air chief Tyagi stated that procurement of chopper deal was a collective decision. "I can account for my agricultural land purchase. In this nation, if you're arrested, you're arrested. You're on TV channels. I've been handed summons," he said during the hearing. "I have fully cooperated in the investigation since the beginning. I have always appeared in front of them whenever I was called," he added. (ANI)