Expert laud Centre`s stand on Hurriyat

| Updated: Apr 29, 2017 12:11 IST

New Delhi [India], Apr 29 (ANI): Following the Centre's stand of not initiating talks with separatists demanding 'azaadi', defence expert Qamar Agha on Saturday said the government, led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has made it clear that it will not negotiate with the Hurriyat Conference organisations. Agha further said that the previous governments tried to talk to the Separatists but all their efforts went in vain, adding that Hurriyat in itself is a problem. "The Centre has made its stand categorically clear to the Supreme Court that the government of India led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi will not negotiate with Hurriyat Conference organisations or the group or organisations that are a part of the Hurriyat. Besides this, they also believe that the Hurriyat has no solution, but it's a part of the problem. So, why to negotiate with it? The previous governments talked to them but nothing came out," Agha told ANI. Meanwhile, senior journalist Rahul Jalali said that dialogue process has not been ruled out and it will continue with those who want to pursue it within the framework of the constitution. "This has been the constant stand of every central government which has been there in Delhi, including this that you cannot officially talk to anyone who does not believe in the Indian Constitution. The same has been made clear by the Central Government in the Supreme Court also. It is obvious that India is not going to talk on 'azaadi'," Jalali told ANI. Earlier yesterday, the Centre told the Supreme Court that it would not talk to the separatist leaders, who demand 'azaadi' (freedom). Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi, top law officer representing the Centre, made this statement while the apex court was hearing a petition filed by Jammu and Kashmir High Court Bar Association (JKHCBA) to take to various stakeholders and consider their opinion in connection with the plea against the use of pellet guns in the state. Earlier in the day, the court asked the association leaders to get names of the people, who can hold talks with the Centre for the resolution of the present situation in the state. JKHCBA was also asked to assure the top court that no stone pelting would be committed in the future if they wanted prohibition against the use of pellet guns. The apex court had earlier asked the Centre to consider effective means other than use of pellet guns to quell stone pelting mobs in Jammu and Kashmir as it concerns life and death. The Kashmir High Court Bar Association (KHBA) had earlier alleged that the pellet guns were being 'misused'. The case was filed in the wake of the several lives lost during last year unrest in the Kashmir Valley. Around 78 people lost their lives and over 100 people were injured, several critically, in Jammu and Kashmir last year due to the use of pellet guns, JKHCBA claimed in its petition. The division bench of the Supreme Court had, in December last year, admitted the petition for hearing and directed the Central Government to submit the report of the team of experts constituted on the use of pellet guns before the court. Earlier in July 2016, the Centre constituted a team to recommend suitable replacement for the pellet guns. A seven-member expert committee set up for exploring other possible alternatives to pellet guns as non-lethal weapons submitted its report to Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi in August. (ANI)
iocl