Gas leakage in Tughlaqabad: Over 170 students hospitalized

| Updated: May 06, 2017 18:07 IST

New Delhi [India], May 6 (ANI): As many as 173 students and nine teachers on Saturday were admitted to four hospitals after a gas leaked from a container truck parked near a school in Delhi's Tughlaqabad area. "A total of 173 students and nine teachers are admitted to four hospitals. No student is critical," Romil Baaniya, Deputy Commissioner of Police, South-East, said. The incident occurred near the Rani Jhansi Girls School in Pul Prahladpur, Tughlaqabad. Speaking to ANI, Deputy Chief Fire Officer Rajesh Pawar said, "A chemical leakage at the customs area of Tughlaqabad depot caused irritation in eyes of the female students studying in the Rani Jhansi school, Tughlaqabad. The local police, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire, and Centralised Ambulance and Trauma Services (CATS) teams have reached the spot. The students are shifted to nearby hospitals. They are reported normal." The principal of the school, Manisha, stated the children had complained of suffocation and irritation in the eyes while they were praying. "At around 7 a.m. in the morning, during prayer time, the children complained of suffocation and irritation in the eyes. Without any delay, we got the children out from their classes and called the police to investigate. We later sent the children home and those who complained of breathing problem were admitted to three nearby hospitals. The teachers are currently with the students in the hospital," said principal. The school authorities confirmed that the students were being taken care of and were out of danger. The father of one of the students, who was later called and informed about the incident said, "I was so worried when I got the call and rushed to the spot right away. I have no idea in which hospital my daughter has been admitted to. I hope she is fine." The mother of another student said, "My younger son picked up the call which the police had made saying that my daughter complained of suffocation and was admitted in hospital. I left everything at home and ran here just to check on my daughter. I still have to meet her." Further investigation into the incident is underway. (ANI)

iocl