K'taka MLA defends demolition drive, says decision taken to 'save Bengaluru'
| Updated: Aug 12, 2016 11:04 IST
Bengaluru, Aug. 12 (ANI): With the furore over the ongoing Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) demolition drive targeting encroachments on lake beds and Storm Water Drains (SWDs), Karnataka MLA N.A. Haris on Thursday clarified saying that what should have happened 25 years ago is being done now in order to save the city, adding that any delay in the work would not harm Bengaluru. Asking people to accept and appreciate the government's decision, Haris told ANI that this had to happen one day or the other and the demolition has only been done on illegal encroachments. "Now, we don't want to face situations what other cities have faced, so we have to appreciate the government's stand on that. We also need to appreciate the Chief Minister here. Just after his son passed away, he called for a meeting and gave directions to his people," Haris said. "We are not here to trouble somebody; we are trying to see that people are not troubled in future. So, what should have happened 25 years back, is what we are doing now and even after that if we get to hear so much of hue and cry, then I think it will be difficult," Haris added. Stating that it's not just the house of the general masses that had been affected, he further said that houses and offices of more than 20 officials has been taken action upon. When asked about the Pathankot LT. Col. Niranjan's house which was also in the demolition list, Haris said, "We have a lot of respect for Niranjan's family and I salute him because of his sacrifice for the country. He was a warrior, who has fought in lot of bomb squads." "But, I also request the officials, give them a few days time, if that is not troubling the clearance immediately," he said. Haris further said, "The government is very stern on this, we want to clear it, we want to save Bangalore. We want to see that there is no such problem in future." In Doddabommasandra, the civic body demolished 20 properties on Thursday in addition to the 50 demolished on Wednesday. Nearly 100 houses have been razed to the ground across the city making several families homeless. The BBMP has identified 1,923 encroachments, some of which have already been removed in earlier drives.(ANI)