Kashmir unrest: Curfew in the Valley continues for ninth consecutive day

| Updated: Aug 23, 2017 11:20 IST

Srinagar, July 17 (NI): Curfew in Jammu and Kashmir continued for the ninth day in an attempt to maintain law and order in the state, as well as preventing people from staging demonstrations against the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander, Burhan Wani. Around 38 people were killed including 1500 injured police and CRPF jawans in these days after clashes between protesters and forces. Cell phone services are blocked and mobile internet in Jammu and Kashmir also suspended only BSNL mobile network on by authorities for officials use only. Government has also blocked Cable TV networks across Kashmir valley and Newspapers are also gagged. Meanwhile, the violence showed no signs of subsiding as protesters on Saturday attacked a police post in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir, in which a civilian was killed. Two civilians were also reportedly injured in the fresh incidents of violence in the area. A mob attacked a police post at Hatmulla in Kupwara district, following which the security personnel retaliated. On Friday, another protestor was killed and three other injured in fresh police firing in Kupwara district and another civilian died in South Kashmir district. The incidents of violence continue to crop up despite the Centre and Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti calling on the people of the state to maintain calm and cooperate with the state government to bring peace in the valley. Earlier on Saturday, three militants were killed as the Army foiled an infiltration bid in Poonch. This was the first infiltration attempt by militants from across the LoC in the State after the protests broke out in Valley following killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen militant commander Burhan Wani in South Kashmir on July 8. After Burhan's death, Kashmir is on boil and about 40 people have been killed and over 3,000 including 1,600 civilians injured in clashes between youth and security men during protests. The life in the Valley has remained paralysed after Burhan's killing, due to strike called by the separatists and curfew-like restrictions imposed by the authorities. (ANI)