KGMU fire: Over 150 patients shifted to eight hospitals

| Updated: Aug 23, 2017 11:20 IST

Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) [India], July 16 (ANI): In the wake of the fire that broke out at King George Medical University's Trauma Center late on Saturday evening, District Magistrate Kaushalraj Sharma clarified that the situation is under control and added that over 150 patients have been admitted to eight other hospitals. "The fire was set only in one room of a godown, and was contained within that room itself. Presently, it is believed that the cause of the fire is the breaking of an Air Conditioner duct. All the patients have been safely admitted to eight other hospitals, and the water from the AC ducts is being cleaned," he said. Sharma also added that a team of fire and electrical safety are looking into the cause of the fire in detail, and are expected to present a report on the same. Meanwhile, chief secretary, health and education, Anita Bhatnagar confirmed that no casualties were reported, and the fire was doused on time. A massive fire broke out on the second floor of the Medicine Department of King George Medical College Trauma Center late on Saturday evening. The center was evacuated by the hospital staff and the patients taken out. "The fire is massive. It is a medicine ward. Property has been destroyed. The complete ward has been evacuated. The patients of the OT have been shifted to the Shatabdi Hospital," said one of the doctors of the hospital. Another hospital administrative official said the situation is under control, but there is a lot of smoke in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). "There is no risk on the fifth and the fourth floor. All the patients are safe. Rest of the floors has been evacuated," he said. Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh Cabinet Minister Brajesh Pathak said the Trauma Center caught fire due to short circuit. "Nearly 150 patients have been shifted to another hospital and all of them are safe. The fire tenders have been able to douse the fire," he said. Pathak assured to probe into the matter and said that an action will be taken against the responsible persons for this carelessness. "If the fire broke out, that simply means that there were some lapses on the part of the administration, but it is difficult to point out a specific person at this time. We will first probe the matter," he assured. Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda also took to his Twitter to express his concern over the same. "Spoken to @sidharthnsingh ,Health Minister UP & inquired about fire accident in KGMC. Health Secretary,GOI is in touch with state officials," he tweeted. <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Spoken to <a href="">@sidharthnsingh</a> ,Health Minister UP & inquired about fire accident in KGMC. Health Secretary,GOI is in touch with state officials <a href=""></a></p>&mdash; Jagat Prakash Nadda (@JPNadda) <a href="">July 15, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//" charset="utf-8"></script> (ANI)