"Tough lady" Jayalalithaa stood for TN on all occasions: Sadananda Gowda

| Updated: Aug 23, 2017 11:20 IST

New Delhi [India], Dec. 6 (ANI): Dubbing late chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa as one of the tallest leaders of the nation, Union Minister Sadananda Gowda on Tuesday said the former stood by Tamil Nadu on all occasions and added the state can never find a strong administrator like her. Throwing light on Jayalalithaa's persona, Gowda said that she was a tough lady, who controlled her ministers very well and maintained strict discipline. "She is one of the tallest leaders of our country fifth time chief minister. She has always worked for the people especially the pro-poor initiatives she took. Administration in the state during her tenure was quite good, the law and order in Tamil Nadu was good, and the state grew financially as well. Implementation of schemes was very good under her regime," said Gowda. "She was a very tough lady, she controlled her ministers very well, all followed her orders. I appreciate Jayalalithaa's administration. She fought for the people of Tamil Nadu on all occasions. She stood with Tamilians and to their expectations. It is a great loss to state of Tamil Nadu, as she did her best for the development of the state. The state cannot get a leader like Jayalalithaa, who was very stubborn on her decisions and managed the party well," he added. Tributes are being paid to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall in Chennai where her mortal remains have been kept. Preparations are currently underway at MGR Memorial at Marina beach, Chennai, for her last rites ceremony. The Government of India has as a mark of respect to Jayalalithaa announced that the national flag will fly half-mast in the capitals of all states and UTs. The government has also decided to accord state funeral to the departed leader which will take place at 4.30 p.m. in Chennai. The 68-year old AIADMK supremo breathed her last at 11:30 p.m. at the Apollo Hospitals in Chennai. Jayalalithaa, who had suffered a massive cardiac arrest on Sunday evening, was admitted to the hospital on September 22 following complaints of fever and dehydration. (ANI)