Rock thrown at Aussie team bus: Assam CM orders probe
ANI | Updated: Oct 11, 2017 12:47 IST
Guwahati (Assam) [India], Oct 11 (ANI): In the wake of attack on the Australian cricket team bus in Guwahati last night, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Wednesday directed state's Chief Secretary V.K. Pipersenia to initiate an inquiry into the matter.
A rock was allegedly thrown at the Australian team bus as they returned to the team hotel from the Barsapara Cricket Stadium following their eight-wicket win in the second T20I of the three-match series in Guwahati.
Sonowal also called on Director General of Police (DGP) Mukesh Sahay to immediately nab the culprits.
"Sports Minister, Chief Secretary and DGP were directed to meet the Australian players and convey state government concern and the immediate measures taken after the incident," the Assam Chief Minister further said.
Earlier in the day, Union Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore also condemned the incident.
Taking to Twitter, Rathore said that the stone-throwing incident in Guwahati was not reflective of the country's security measures.
"Guwahati stone-throwing incident NOT reflective of our security measures. Aus team & FIFA are content w/those. India remains a graceful host," Rathore, who replaced Vijay Goel as the Sports Minister earlier this year, tweeted.
"Have spoken to @sarbanandsonwal ji about the Guwahati incident. Personal security of visiting athletes & teams is extremely important for us," he added.
Australian opener Aaron Finch has earlier tweeted a picture of a broken window saying, "Pretty scary having a rock thrown through the team bus window on the way back to the hotel!!"
The rock, believed to be roughly the size of a cricket ball, was thrown at a window on the right-hand side of the bus, while it was returning from the stadium.
It should be noted that no injuries were caused to any of the players or the support staff.
In a similar incident, a small rock or stone was thrown at the Australian team's bus in September in Chittagong during their two-Test series against Bangladesh.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) at that time had immediately increased security for the Australian team to ensure there were no further mishaps.
India and Australia will now head to Hyderabad to lock horns in the series-decider T20I match of the three-match series, which is to be played on October 13 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium. (ANI)