CWG 2018: Indian men's hockey team lose in bronze medal match

ANI | Updated: Apr 14, 2018 20:15 IST

Gold Coast [Australia], Apr. 14 (ANI): England avenged their 3-4 loss to India in the Round Robin stage as they beat Indian men's Hockey Team 2-1 in the bronze medal match here at the 21st Commonwealth Games on Saturday.

It was Sam Ward (7', 43') who scored for England, while Varun Kumar (27') was the lone goal scorer for India.

Though India had a good ball possession in the initial minutes of the first quarter, England were far more dominating with an intense attack, making spaces in the striking circle.

It was first experienced by Barry Middleton who took a potential shot on goal in the fourth minute, which was slightly off the mark.

An Indian infringement gave away the first penalty corner (PC) of the match.

Though Sam Ward's attempt was blocked away by India's first rusher Amit Rohidas, in his second attempt Sam Ward kept it low as he successfully found the right corner of the post taking a 1-0 lead in the seventh minute.

A diving PR Sreejesh could do little to stop the fiercely-struck ball.

With a good man-to-man marking by England, making successful forays into the striking circle for the Indian forwards was hard to come by.

After several attempts, India's first breakthrough, however, came in the 26th minute when Mandeep Singh and Lalit Upadhyay worked in tandem to win the team's only PC of the match.

A well thought-out variation between Amit Rohidas and Varun Kumar fetched India a much-needed equaliser.

With scores levelled at 1-1, the third quarter was closely fought.

While India began on an attacking note with Lalit taking a shot on goal in the 31st minute, Mandeep couldn't find the right deflection to score.

Though India's attack picked up steam, defensive errors on their part gave away two crucial PCs in the 39th and 42nd minute.

While Sam Ward's attempt was brilliantly saved by Sreejesh, England relied on their number one drag-flicker yet again in the 43rd minute to take the strike.

This time, though first rusher Rohidas successful blocked the drag-flick, on rebound Ward used a strong backhand shot to once again find the right corner of the post that helped England regain the lead.

Down by a goal, India desperately looked for opportunities to score but England's defence was relentless, not wanting to repeat what happened in their previous tie when India scored in the last two minutes of the match.

Forward Akashdeep Singh took an ambitious shot on goal but missed the mark in the 45th minute.

Seconds later, skipper Manpreet attempted a shot but couldn't muster a goal.

England, meanwhile, won two PCs in the 50thand 54th minute but on both occasions, different variations could not help in stretching their lead by two goals.

A video referral by England was upheld in the dying minutes of the match that denied India a PC while their defence stuck together to keep the lead and win the match. (ANI)