Kyrgios prepared to make comeback at Australian Open

| Updated: Dec 24, 2016 22:04 IST

Johannesburg [South Africa], Dec.24 (ANI):Australian controversial tennis star Nick Kyrgios has said that he is fully geared up to take the court at next month's Australian Open as he prepares to make a comeback after a three-week ban from the sport. The 21-year-old insisted that his forced break from tennis--when a bizarre straight-sets loss at the Shanghai Masters in October resulted in an initial eight-week suspension--has proved to be a blessing for him. According to Sport24, Kyrgios had been seeing a sports psychologist in order to prepare himself better for the upcoming season. "I needed to shut down really after a very long and tough year, managing my schedule and time better to help with physical and mental freshness," Kyrgios said. Talking about the first major of the season, Kyrgios said that although he is well aware that he would be in the spotlight at his home Grand Slam tournament, he is working hard to ensure the media pressure does not derail his campaign. "Look, the added media interest is never easy and it's something that I haven't fully got my head around or got used to, but what can I do?...As far as how I'll deal with it, I'll just keep my head down and go about my business as I have done the past few Aussie summers." Kyrgios, who clinched three titles this season, including a maiden ATP 500 series victory in Tokyo, also expressed confidence that he is capable of winning the tournament. "Will I? I don't know. But will I slog my guts out trying to? Without a doubt," he added. (ANI)
iocl