Roberta Vinci set for Rome farewell in May 2018

ANI | Updated: Dec 01, 2017 11:09 IST

Florida [U.S.A], December 1 (ANI): Former US Open finalist Roberta Vinci has announced that she will bid adieu to tennis following the Internazionali BNL d'Italia to be held in Rome next May.

Taking to her Twitter account, the 34-year-old said that she wanted her swansong match to be a party and also inviting fans to be her guests.

While announcing her intentions to retire, Vinci said that she would return to the court and would say goodbye to tennis in the middle of the year at home.

"I've decided to continue and return to the court, but not for the whole year. I'll finish at the Foro Italico," the WTA quoted Vinci, as saying.

"In the middle of the season I will say goodbye to tennis and it's something I've considered for a long time. I've decided to make one last appearance in front of the Italian public as a way of saying thanks to all Italians," she added.

Vinci, who is now ranked 117 in the world, made it to the semi-finals of the US Open in 2015 after defeating American tennis ace Serena Williams. However, she failed to clinch the title and lost to compatriot Flavia Pennetta in the finals.

The Italian is also a former World No.1 in doubles, having clinched all four Grand Slam titles with partner Sara Errani. She has won a total of 25 doubles titles.

Vinci, who has also notched up a total of 10 WTA singles titles, reached a career-high singles ranking of seventh in May last year. (ANI)

iocl