Du Plessis' appeal against `mintgate` verdict to be heard on Dec.19

| Updated: Dec 06, 2016 19:57 IST

Dubai [UAE], Dec.6 (ANI): The International Cricket Council (ICC) has confirmed that Faf du Plessis' appeal against his guilty verdict of ball-tampering will be heard in Dubai on December 19. Michael Beloff QC has been appointed the Judicial Commissioner to hear the appeal. Legal counsel for both parties will attend the hearing in person in Dubai, whilst Du Plessis will join via telephone. Last month, the 32-year-old was found guilty of breaching Article 2.2.9 of the ICC Code of Conduct after television footage appeared to show him chewing a white lolly in his mouth, licking his finger on the mint before repeatedly shining and rubbing the ball during the fourth day's play of the second Test against Australia in Hobart. He was fined 100 percent of his match fee by the ICC, but was cleared to play the third day-night Test at the Adelaide Oval. When the ruling was made, Du Plessis had immediately made it clear his intention to appeal against his guilty verdict of ball-tampering which were made after hearing representations and evidence from the umpires as well as Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) head of cricket John Stephenson and ICC match referee Andy Pycroft. Earlier, Du Plessis had also denied allegations levelled against him and said he had been made a "scapegoat". "I still completely disagree with [the verdict]. I felt like I've done nothing wrong," he said before the third Test. It's not like I was trying to cheat or anything, I was shining the ball. It's something that all cricketers do," Du Plessis had said. (ANI)
iocl