Kevin Pietersen rejoins Surrey for T20 blast

| Updated: Mar 08, 2017 04:29 IST

London [UK], Mar. 7 (ANI): Former England batsman Kevin Pietersen, who recently withdrew from the Caribbean Premier League, has rejoined Surrey for this year's NatWest T20 Blast. Pietersen last played for Surrey, his third English county, in 2015. "I'm absolutely over the moon to be joining Surrey again," ESPNcricinfo quoted Pietersen, who had been due to play in the CPL for St Lucia, on Tuesday, as saying in a statement. "I've missed playing here at home and it's going to be a special feeling walking out at The Oval again." "We've got some seriously talented guys in our team and I'm very confident we can achieve something really special this season," the statement added. Maintaining that he had some great times at Surrey, the 36-year-old said he was looking forward to once again become a part of the club. Pietersen was expected to appear for St Lucia Stars (formerly Zouks) in this year's CPL, which runs from August 1 to September 9. But he has chosen instead to make a return to English cricket, with this year's Blast set to be played in a block from July 7, with Finals Day on September 2. Alec Stewart, Surrey director of cricket, said that re-signing the former England batsman is a massive boost to the club and the NatWest T20 Blast competition. "To have a player of his undoubted calibre available to us will add strength and experience to our squad and I'm sure all our fans will enjoy seeing him back playing in England again," Stewart said. "His work ethic and appetite for success are infectious and our squad have always enjoyed having him around the dressing room and performing out in the middle," he added. South Africa-born Pietersen scored over 8 000 runs in 104 Tests for England at an average of nearly 48 including 23 hundreds. He also helped England win the 2010 World T20 in the Caribbean - still their only major international limited overs trophy. (ANI)
iocl