The blaze is believed to have started by a toaster in the kitchen of a second-floor apartment of the six-storey building on Riverside Drive in Washington Heights, the local media reported citing, Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY) Commissioner, Daniel Nigro, as saying.
The fire then quickly spread to the top floors through a dumbwaiter shaft.
Red Cross teams were reportedly present at the scene, registering dozens of affected residents.
Authorities advised nearby residents to close windows and avoid smoke.
The building is almost a century-old and houses 133 apartments, according to reports. (ANI)