The provincial police chief, Esmatullah Alizai said the operation was launched in Barak-e-Barak district after the Taliban insurgents attacked the security check posts, the Tolo News reported.
However, the Taliban has not commented on the incident so far.
Earlier, at least 43 Taliban insurgents, including a top commander got killed in air strikes conducted by the United States in the Afghan province of Faryab bordering Uzbekistan.
Afghanistan security forces had to call for aerial support from the U.S. forces after a convoy of over 300 security forces made up of members of a special Afghan commando force, soldiers, and policemen came under heavy attack from the Taliban.
General Janat Gul, a commander of the Afghan National Army's 209 Shaheen Corps on Sunday said that a convoy of over 300 security forces made up of members of a special commando force, soldiers, and policemen came under attack from the Taliban, the Anadolu news reported.
Aerial support called in from U.S. forces hit the militants, killing 43 and leaving 20 others wounded, he added. (ANI)