Despite UN ceasefire, airstrikes kill 7 in Syria

ANI | Updated: Feb 25, 2018 22:09 IST

Damascus [Syria], Feb 25 (ANI): In spite of a 30-day ceasefire, at least seven people have been killed due to fresh airstrikes by the forces loyal to Syria's Russian-backed president Bashar al-Assad regime in the Eastern Ghouta.

"Nothing has changed," The CNN quoted Dr. Hamza Hassan as saying on Sunday morning from Arbeen Hospital in Eastern Ghouta.

This development came hours after the U.N. unanimously adopted the resolution to implement ceasefire across Syria.

"The airstrikes are continuing. A maternity hospital has just been hit in Saqba (a town in Eastern Ghouta) and is out of service," Dr. Hassan said of the offensive from the Russian-backed Syrian regime on the rebel-held enclave.

U.N. Humanitarian coordinator Panos Moumtzis said at least seven people are believed to have been killed since the ceasefire announced by the U.N.

Yesterday, the U.N. Security Council (UNSC) unanimously backed the ceasefire resolution to allow for humanitarian aid deliveries and medical evacuations.

Nearly 500 people, including 100 children, have died and hundreds more injured in the last seven days, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).

Eastern Ghouta, which houses around 400,000 residents, has remained under a crippling regime siege for the last five years.

In May last year, Russia, Iran, and Turkey signed an agreement to set up de-escalation zones, in order to prevent airstrike-related incidents in some parts of Syria.

The de-escalation zones include- Idlib province, some parts of Latakia province, Hama and Aleppo provinces, Homs, Eastern Ghouta, Daraa and al-Quneitra provinces in southern Syria.

Syria has been embroiled in a civil war since 2011. Protesters have been long demanding the resignation of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad over his autocratic rule. (ANI)

iocl