Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan

Erdogan pledges to hold murderers of Khashoggi accountable

ANI | Updated: Oct 24, 2018 20:42 IST

Ankara [Turkey], Oct 24 (ANI/Sputnik): Turkey will not allow those responsible for the killing of Saudi opposition journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the building of Saudi consulate in Istanbul to escape justice, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday.
"We are conducting a thorough investigation with the utmost seriousness. We are sharing the evidence collected by the police, intelligence and court with the international community. Some are unhappy with it. But we will not allow this murder to be covered up. Those guilty should be punished and we are making efforts in this regard," Erdogan said. He added that Turkey was extremely sensitive with regard to the case.
"We act in accordance with the found evidence and our legal approach is being assessed not only by the family (of the journalist), but also by the entire world. The case now has international repercussions. But the work has not been completed so far. As soon as we find new evidence, we will share it with our partners," the Turkish President indicated.
Kezban Nilvana Darama, the Turkish ambassador to Belarus, echoed Erdogan, saying that the probe into the journalist's murder was being carried out at the highest level. "I can tell you with confidence that this necessary investigation is being held by the Turkish bodies at the highest level. And we are continuing work, in which the Saudi Arabian structures are involved as well. (The) probe is conducted with maximum transparency and envisages close contacts with the Saudi bodies," the ambassador said.
She added that the readiness of the Saudi organisations to cooperate on the issue played a key role in the progress of the current work.
Khashoggi, known for his criticism of the kingdom's policies, had been working as a columnist for The Washington Post. The journalist was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.
Following more than two weeks of denials, Saudi Arabia admitted on Friday via state television that the journalist had been killed in a fight inside the consulate. Riyadh has arrested 18 people over their involvement in the incident, while at least five Saudi officials, including Saudi Deputy Intelligence Chief Ahmed Asiri, have been dismissed as the Khashoggi affair was gaining momentum. (ANI/Sputnik)

iocl