New Delhi [India], Nov. 23 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday lashed out at Pakistan for allowing a judicial body to release Hafiz Saeed, whom New Delhi acknowledges as the mastermind behind the terror strikes that took place in Mumbai in November 2008, claiming the lives of 166 people and maiming over 300 others.
Saeed is said to be the head of the U.S.-designated terror outfit, Lashkar-e-Taiba and had been under house arrest since January 31.
"His release confirms once again the lack of seriousness on the part of Pakistan government, also appears to be an attempt by Pakistani system to mainstream proscribed terrorists," MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said.
"It is evident that Pakistan has not changed its policy of shielding and supporting non-state actors, and its true face is visible for all to see," he added.
The MEA spokesperson asserted that the global community along with India is outraged that a self confessed and a United Nations proscribed terrorist is being allowed to walk free and to continue with his evil agenda.
Saeed has been declared a global terrorist by the United Nations and the US for his role in the Mumbai attack. He has a USD 10 million bounty on his head.
Yesterday, a judicial body of Pakistan rejected a request from the government of Punjab to extend his detention by three months.
The LeT chief had been produced before the review board by Pakistan's Punjab government on Tuesday.
According to reports, a government official told the board there were enough evidences against Saeed to justify his detention.
The review board had earlier allowed a 30-day extension to Saeed's detention, which is set to expire in the last week of this month. (ANI)