MEA summons Pak diplomat over ceasefire violation

ANI | Updated: Jan 19, 2018 21:19 IST

New Delhi [India], Jan 19 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) summoned Pakistan's Deputy High Commissioner Syed Haider Shah on Friday to voice concerns over continued ceasefire violations and deliberate targeting of innocent civilians by Pakistan security forces.

"Pakistan was again called upon to adhere to the November 2003 ceasefire understanding for maintaining peace and tranquility along the Line of Control (LoC) and the International Boundary," the MEA said in a statement.

"It was conveyed to the concerned authorities in Pakistan that deliberate targeting of innocent civilians was against all established humanitarian norms and practices," it added.

More than 100 such violations have been carried out by Pakistan forces on the LoC so far, the ministry statement said.

This comes after Pakistani troops on Friday resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation along the Line of Control (LoC) in the RS Pura Sector of Jammu and Kashmir, killing a 17-year-old girl and a Border Security Force (BSF) jawan. At least four more were injured.

Also, two civilians were injured in the ceasefire violation in the Ramgarh Sector, while five more were injured in another ceasefire violation by Pakistan in Hiranagar Sector in Kathua, all in Jammu and Kashmir.

This is the second consecutive day when Pakistan Rangers heavily shelled civilian areas and border outposts (BoPs).

India and Pakistan routinely exchange fire across the LoC, causing heavy losses to both soldiers and civilians from both sides. (ANI)

iocl