N Korea rejects US' claims of starting WannaCry attack

ANI | Updated: Dec 21, 2017 17:00 IST

Pyongyang [North Korea], December 21 (ANI): North Korea on Thursday rejected the United States' (US) claims of initiating the treacherous WannaCry ransomware attack globally.

A spokesperson for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has officially rejected the claims.

It said, "As we have clearly stated on several occasions, we have nothing to do with cyber attack and we do not feel a need to respond, on a case-by-case basis, to such absurd and wild allegations of the US," the spokesman said, according to the North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

"However, we can not condone the fact that the US is daring to take a stand on our country with the problem of cyber attack," added the spokesperson.

Earlier, US President Donald Trump's homeland security advisor, Thomas P Bossert, had made the announcement in a Wall Street Journal editorial.

"The [WannaCry] attack was widespread and has cost billions, and North Korea is directly responsible. We do not make this allegation lightly. It is based on evidence. We are not alone with our findings, either," he said.

"North Korea has acted especially badly, largely unchecked, for more than a decade, and its malicious behavior is growing more egregious. WannaCry was indiscriminately reckless," Bossert added.

Ever since Trump came to power in November last year, he has been at loggerheads with North Korea over alleged conducting of nuclear tests.

Amid the tension between the nations, which has put the world on alert of conflict, Trump referred to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as a "little rocket man", while his rival has previously called him a "mentally deranged dotard" and an "old lunatic" respectively. (ANI)

iocl