Niger ambush investigation likley to get over in Jan, says Pentagon

ANI | Updated: Nov 09, 2017 08:45 IST

Washington D.C. [U.S.A], November 9 (ANI): The Pentagon officials have said that the investigation of the four U.S. soldiers killed in the ambush last month in Niger is likely to conclude in January.

The U.S. Army officials have contacted the family members of the four fallen soldiers "in order to provide a timeline on U.S. Africa Command's investigation into the incident," reported the Hill, quoting a statement from the U.S. Defence Department.

Maj. Gen. Roger Cloutier, the U.S. Africa Command's chief of staff, is leading the investigation.

The team will be traveling to the areas in the U.S., Africa, and Europe to gather information, the statement added.

According to the reports, the group of U.S. soldiers and 30 Nigerien troops were ambushed coming back from a reconnaissance mission in the village.

The U.S. has approximately 800 troops in Niger and 6,000 conducting missions throughout Africa, the report said.

Once the investigation is completed, briefing the families of the fallen will be the department's first priority, read the statement. (ANI)

iocl