North Korea
North Korea

No discussion on removal of US troops from North Korea

ANI | Updated: May 01, 2018 23:07 IST

Pyongyang [North Korea], May 1 (ANI): A United States diplomat visiting North Korea on Tuesday said that there have been no discussions with his North Korean counterpart regarding the removal of the US troops from the country.

As reported by South Korean agency Yonhap, Director for Korea on the White House National Security Council Allison Hooker met acting deputy assistant secretary of state for Korea, Mark Lambert to hold a discussion on the historic inter-Korean summit.

He said to have no plans to discuss the removal of US troops with respect to the constant demand by North Korea for the same.

Lambert was further briefed by the South Korean officials about the inter-Korean summit.

He refused to have any knowledge regarding the venue for the upcoming US-North Korea summit which is hinted to be the truce village of Panmunjom in Korea's demilitarized zone.

Lambert's trip comes ahead of a planned meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in May.

As per Seoul's official, Lambert is scheduled to hold a discussion with his North Korean counterpart on the current security situation of the Korean peninsula and several other bilateral issues of both the countries.

Both the United States and South Korea have called for denuclearization of North Korea.

The Trump administration had earlier said that the US sanctions upon North Korea will remain in place until the latter takes steps to denuclearise.

North Korea had earlier announced to close down its Punggye-ri nuclear site by May. (ANI)

iocl