Over 180 killed in Philippines landslides

ANI | Updated: Dec 24, 2017 02:45 IST

Manila [Philippines], Dec 24 (ANI): Over 180 people have been killed and scores of others have been missing in southern Philippines after Tropical Storm Tembin triggered mud slides and flash floods on the country's second largest island, Mindanao.

Blaming years of logging in the mountains near Anungan for the tragedy, the Guardian quoted, mayor of Sibuco in Zamboanga del Norte province, Bong Edding as saying, "It's really sad because Christmas is just a few days away, but these things happen beyond our control."

Rescue operations were hampered since all power and communication lines in the affected area had been cut.

A local weather bureau said that the storm had gathered strength over the Sulu Sea.

Ryan Cabus, a local official, said: "We're still trying to confirm reports of a farming village, buried by a mudslide due to heavy rains by the typhoon."

Cabus also added that emergency workers, soldiers, police and volunteers were being mobilised to search for survivors.

The debris will be cleared and power and communications' lines would be restored soon.

Tembin struck less than a week after Tropical Storm Kai-Tek, which claimed at least 50 lives.

The Philippines is reportedly worn by about 20 typhoons every year. (ANI)

iocl