Australia: Two men charged over plot to bring down plane

| Updated: Aug 04, 2017 09:12 IST

Canberra [Australia], August 4 (ANI): Two men have been charged in Australia in connection with an alleged plot to bring down a passenger plane. A 49-year-old and a 32-year-old each were charged with two counts of "acts done in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act," according to a statement from the Australian Federal Police (AFP). The maximum penalty for each offense is life in prison. This comes five days after four people -- including the two men -- were arrested by the police over what Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull described as an "elaborate conspiracy." Turnbull said the plot involved bringing down a passenger plane. A 50-year-old man was released without charge on Tuesday. One man remains in custody, CNN reports. Earlier Thursday, Turnbull said the threat to aviation in Australia had been "disrupted and contained" following the arrests and the level of security at airports was being lowered. (ANI)

iocl