Chinese feminists censored after taking on Trump

| Updated: Feb 23, 2017 02:47 IST

New York [U.S.A.], Feb. 22 (ANI): More than a million protesters across the United States gathered for the 'Women's March on Washington' and "sister marchers" around the country after the United States gagged one of Chinese feminist movement's most visible social media accounts in an apparent bid to stifle criticism of President Donald Trump. The "Feminist Voice in China" account on social networking site Sina Weibo was handed a 30-day ban earlier this week for allegedly violating Chinese law. The account received a notice prohibiting it from posting for the said period after it translated an op-ed in support of calls for a general strike in the U.S. on March 8, International Women's Day. The article urged activists to launch an 'international strike' on March 8 to protest male violence and support reproductive rights. "We suspect it has something to do with a post that criticised Trump," Social Media Editor for NGO GenderWatch Xiong Jing was quoted as saying by CNN. "We want to hear women's voices," said Chinese feminists after claiming they have been gagged online. However, no Weibo spokesman came out for an immediate respond to a request for comment. Chinese feminists banked upon the support of the U.S. government, with former secretaries of state Hilary Clinton and John Kerry both voicing their support for them. However, now with the change in administration, many feel that under Trump, things will be different. (ANI)
iocl