North Korea launches missile; its first after April 29 failure

| Updated: May 14, 2017 10:58 IST

Seoul [South Korea], May 14 (ANI): In what happens to be the first test since a new President took office in South Korea last week and called for dialogue with the North, the latter has launched a ballistic missile. The South Korean military said in a statement that the missile took off from the northwestern city of Kusong and flew more than 430 miles, The New York Times reports. Other data was still being analysed by the South to determine the type of missile. This was the North's first missile test since April 29 failure, despite being banned from developing or testing ballistic missiles, under a series of United Nations Security Council resolutions. Meanwhile, South Korean President Moon Jae-in has ordered an urgent meeting of top security officials to discuss the launch. North Korea has been trying to build a reliable intermediate-range ballistic missile, which would be capable of reaching American military bases in the Pacific. U.S. President Donald Trump has said he would be "honoured" to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un under the right circumstances. (ANI)

iocl