British officials lower country's terrorist threat level from 'critical' to 'severe'

ANI | Updated: Sep 17, 2017 23:21 IST

London [United Kingdom], September 17 (ANI): Amid the chaos created by the recent terrorist attack at Parsons Green station, the British officials have lowered the country's official terrorist threat level from "critical" to "severe."

The statement follows the arrest of a second man in the Parson Green tube station attack in west London, injuring 29 people.

However, Home Secretary Amber Rudd says that over the next few days, the military will return to their original positions, having supported police over the weekend following the bombing on Friday.

"The Joint Terrorist Analysis Centre which reviews the threat level that the UK is under have decided to lower than level from critical to severe," the local media quoted Amber Rudd.

Home Secretary Rudd further said that she would urge everyone to be vigilant but not alarmed.

The Metropolitan Police on Sunday said that another person has been arrested in connection with the terrorist attack at Parsons Green station.

Earlier an 18-year-old teenager was arrested in the departure area of the port of Dover in connection with the attack on Saturday morning.

He was arrested by the Kent Police under the Terrorism Act and remains in custody at a London police station.

The arrest came 24 hours after a homemade bomb partially exploded at Parson Green tube station in west London, injuring 29 people.

The ISIS has claimed the responsibility for the explosion at Parsons Green.

Earlier, the London's Metropolitan Police said, "The Kent Police had arrested the man in the port area of Dover on Saturday morning under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act under which a police officer can arrest someone whom they reasonably suspect to be a terrorist."

Prime Minister Theresa May has announced that the security services are raising the terror threat level from "severe" to "critical" in the wake of the Parsons Green terror attack.

This was the fifth terrorist attack in the UK this year. But it was the only one in 2017 in which nobody died. (ANI)