Terrorism ruled out in Munich knife attack
ANI | Updated: Oct 21, 2017 23:03 IST
Munich [Germany] Oct 21 (ANI): German police have ruled out terrorism in Munich knife attack in which the attacker wounded four people on Saturday morning.
According to German media, Munich Police Chief Hubertus Andrae ruled out terrorist link and said that the attacker may have been a mental patient.
Earlier, authorities launched a manhunt after the attacker attacked people in the Rosenheimer Platz area of the Bavarian capital, reports The Independent.
Four people are thought to be injured but none sustained life-threatening injuries, The Independent reports quoting the authorities.
Munich police tweeted to give description of the attacker: "a man about 40 years, riding a black bike; wearing grey trousers, green training jacket, backpack+ sleeping mat."
Description of the suspect: a man about 40 years, riding a black bike; wearing gray trousers, green training jacket, backpack+ sleeping mat— Polizei München (@PolizeiMuenchen) October 21, 2017
Later, Munich police spokesman Marcus da Gloria Martins told reporters: "We have arrested a person who very strongly resembles the description by witnesses, but we cannot confirm that he is the attacker."
Earlier, the Munich Police said on Twitter that officers were looking for the man "with all available police forces" but that his motive remained unclear.
We are searching for the offender with all police officers available. Until now we know nothing about the motivation. #Rosenheimerplatz— Polizei München (@PolizeiMuenchen) October 21, 2017
Munich also witnessed a knife attack last year wherein the attacker later proved to be a mentally disturbed person. (ANI)