US troops in Aleppo, Syria
US troops in Aleppo, Syria

US has 'no plans' for Syria post troops withdrawal, says former envoy

ANI | Updated: Jan 21, 2019 18:22 IST

Washington D.C. [USA], Jan 21 (ANI): The United States does not have any plans for Syria in the future once its troops are withdrawn from the region, Washington's former anti-Islamic State (ISIS) envoy Brett McGurk said.
During an interview with CBS's 'Face the Nation' on Sunday, McGurk was quoted as saying: "There is no plan for what's coming next and this increases the risk to the US forces."
The statement by the envoy comes amid reports of a terrorist attack in the northern Syrian town of Manbij, last week, which claimed lives of four US military personnel and 15 civilians, Al Jazeera reported.
The terrorist attack was considered to be the deadliest one since the US troops were deployed in 2014 to destroy the ISIS in the region.
The ISIS-claimed attack on the US troops took place following President Donald Trump's announcement of withdrawing 2,000 troops from Syria, on December 19 last year, after declaring the ISIS to have been fully 'destroyed'.
Earlier in January, President Trump's National Security Advisor John Bolton announced that the US would withdraw its troops from Syria only after defeating ISIS and ensuring that the Kurds are safe. (ANI)

iocl