Over 40 students missing after Boko Haram attack

ANI | Updated: Feb 22, 2018 08:31 IST

Abuja [Nigeria], Feb 22 (ANI): 46 students remained missing following an attack by the Boko Haram insurgents on an all-girls college in Nigeria's Yobe state earlier this week, according to the Nigerian Government.

Earlier, close to 100 students were reported to have gone missing after Nigerian authorities conducted a search operation at the Government Girls Technical College in Dapchi area of Yobe, according to the Xinhua.

The state government said in a statement that around 28 students returned safely late on Tuesday, while 20 more returned early Wednesday after they fled the school premises during the attack.

Mohammed Lamin, Yobe's commissioner for education, said the government remained hopeful that the remaining girls would return soon.

The Boko Haram insurgents on Monday attacked the all-girls college in Yobe and looted foodstuff.

The students and the staff ran into the bushes near the college for safety. There are no casualties reported as of now.

This comes after 22 people were killed in a suicide blast at a crowded near the Konduga town in Nigeria's Borno state.

The Boko Haram insurgency began in 2009 when the militants staged an armed rebellion against the government of Nigeria.

Suicide attacks carried out by the dreaded insurgent group have claimed more than 20,000 lives and displaced at least two million people, according to Nigerian vice-president Yemi Osinbajo.

Also, the group has carried out mass abductions, including the kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls from Chibok in April 2014.

The group is also active in the neighbouring countries of Cameroon, Chad and Niger. (ANI)

iocl