Washington D.C. [United States], Dec 14 (ANI): At least 6,700 Rohingya were killed between August and September after violence broke out in Myanmar's northern restive Rakhine state, according to the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF).
"We met and spoke with survivors of violence in Myanmar, who are now sheltering in overcrowded and unsanitary camps in Bangladesh," reported CNN, citing Sidney Wong, MSF Medical Director, as saying in a statement.
"What we uncovered was staggering, both in terms of the numbers of people who reported a family member died as a result of violence and the horrific ways in which they said they were killed or severely injured," she said.
Earlier, on December 5, the United Nations (UN) Human Rights Chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein condemned the brutal attacks at and decades-long discrimination against the Rohingyas, citing they could contain "elements of genocide".
More than 6,20,000 Rohingyas have fled to Bangladesh since the Myanmar security forces launched an operation in the Rakhine state in response to the alleged attacks by militants on August 25 against 30 police posts and a regimental headquarters.
Earlier on November 23, Bangladesh and Myanmar signed a deal on repatriation after both the countries came to a consensus following a meeting between Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali and Myanmar's State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi. (ANI)