"In the meeting that, at the proposal of the Cuban side, was held with the United States Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, the minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cuba, Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla, warned him against the adoption of hasty decisions that were not supported by evidence; urged him not to politicise a matter of this nature and once again required the effective cooperation from the US authorities to clarify facts and conclude the investigation," Cuba's Foreign Affairs Ministry said in a statement.
The statement released by the U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson asserted that "decision was made due to Cuba's failure to take appropriate steps to protect our diplomats in accordance with its obligations under the Vienna Convention. This order will ensure equity in our respective diplomatic operations."
However, terming the expulsion as "unwarranted act" the statement by Cuban Ministry said, "The Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly protests and condemns this unfounded and unacceptable decision as well as the pretext used to justify it, for it has been asserted that the Cuban Government did not take the appropriate measures to prevent the occurrence of the alleged incidents."
"It is the second time, after May 23, 2017, that the State Department orders two Cuban diplomats in Washington to abandon the country; that the US Government reacts in a hasty, inappropriate and unthinking way, without having evidence of the occurrence of the adduced facts, for which Cuba has no responsibility whatsoever and before the conclusion of the investigation that is still in progress," the statement added.
On September 29, Tillerson had announced the decision to significantly downscale the diplomatic staff of the US embassy in Havana and withdraw all their relatives, claiming that there had been "attacks" perpetrated against the U.S. Government officials in Cuba which have harmed their health.
At least 22 people have been injured, with intelligence officials especially targeted. Symptoms include mild traumatic brain injury, permanent hearing loss, severe headaches, loss of balance and brain swelling.
Meanwhile, Cuba has also allowed the U.S. investigative agencies to work on the ground in its country for the first time in more than 50 years as part of the investigation into attacks on American diplomats. (ANI)