American talk show host Megyn Kelly
American talk show host Megyn Kelly

Megyn Kelly ousted from NBC talk show after 'blackface' remark

ANI | Updated: Oct 27, 2018 01:47 IST

Washington D.C. [USA], Oct 27 (ANI): American broadcast television network NBC on Friday confirmed Megyn Kelly's exit from the talk show "Megyn Kelly Today". This comes after the host made controversial remarks about 'blackface' earlier this week.
"'Megyn Kelly Today' is not returning. Next week, the 9 a.m. hour will be hosted by other TODAY co-anchors," an NBC spokesperson was quoted as saying by USA Today.
NBC clarified that Kelly's time as the host of the show was over, but the fate of her future at the network is still undecided.
"This morning, NBC News host Megyn Kelly is in talks with the network about her imminent departure," NBC News reporter Morgan Radford had said on the "Today" show earlier on Friday.
Also, NBC has not indicated that it will accommodate Kelly in any other show, with USA Today reporting that the network is "very happy" with their current prime-time roster.
On October 25, Kelly did not host her show and a pre-taped episode was aired instead of the live telecast sparking speculation about her exit from the show.
Kelly drew huge flak after a racist comment she made regarding Halloween costumes on October 23. "You do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Back when I was a kid, that was O.K., as long as you were dressing up as a character," Kelly said.
However, the 47-year-old apologised for her remarks saying, "I realise now that such behaviour is indeed wrong, and I am sorry. The history of blackface in our culture is abhorrent; the wounds too deep. I've never been a (politically correct) kind of person - but I understand that we do need to be more sensitive in this day and age. Particularly on race and ethnicity issues which, far from being healed, have been exacerbated in our politics over the past year."
Kelly, who earlier worked for Fox News, joined NBC on an estimated $20 million-a-year contract days before US President Donald Trump's inauguration. (ANI)

iocl