Migrants escaping tear gas at the US-Mexico border last year. (File photo)
Migrants escaping tear gas at the US-Mexico border last year. (File photo)

No special plan to restrain migrant caravans, says Mexico

ANI | Updated: Apr 02, 2019 15:02 IST

Mexico City [Mexico], Apr 2 (ANI): Notwithstanding the US threat to shut down the shared border, Mexico on Monday (local time) claimed to have no special plans to restrict migrant caravans from crossing over to the United States through its territory.
However, Mexican Interior Secretary Olga Sanchez Cordero has said that the authorities plan to regulate the process. "No, we are planning to regulate and maintain security," said Cordero, according to Sputnik.
This comes amidst US President Donald Trump threatening to close the US-Mexico border "next week" if Mexico fails to stop "illegals" from entering the United States through it.
"Mexico has for many years made a fortune off of the US, far greater than Border Costs. If Mexico doesn’t immediately stop ALL illegal immigration coming into the United States through our Southern Border, I will be CLOSING the Border, or large sections of the Border, next week," Trump tweeted last week.
The US President had previously voiced his disdain for the influx of illegal immigrants from the US-Mexico border. His demand for USD five billion to fund a wall on this border and the US Congress' subsequent denial of the money recently led to the US government's longest-ever partial shutdown in the nation's history. (ANI)

iocl