Mike Pompeo
Mike Pompeo

US calls for peaceful solution in Yemen

ANI | Updated: Oct 31, 2018 10:55 IST

Washington D.C. [USA], Oct 31 (ANI): The United States has called for the support of all parties in finding a peaceful solution to the conflict in Yemen.
US Department of State Spokesperson Heather Nauert tweeted, "The US calls on all parties to support UN Special Envoy Griffiths in finding a peaceful solution to the conflict in #Yemen. It is time to end this conflict, replace conflict with compromise, and allow the Yemeni people to heal through peace and reconstruction," while outlining Secretary of State Michael Pompeo's statement on the matter.
"The time is now for the cessation of hostilities, including missile and UAV strikes from Houthi-controlled areas into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Subsequently, Coalition air strikes must cease in all populated areas in Yemen," Secretary Pompeo said in a statement released on Wednesday.
He further mentioned, "Substantive consultations under the UN Special Envoy must commence this November in a third country to implement confidence-building measures to address the underlying issues of the conflict, the demilitarisation of borders, and the concentration of all large weapons under international observation."
Bringing attention to the humanitarian crisis, Pompeo said, "A cessation of hostilities and vigorous resumption of a political track will help ease the humanitarian crisis as well. It is time to end this conflict, replace conflict with compromise, and allow the Yemeni people to heal through peace and reconstruction."
US Defence Secretary James Mattis had earlier called for a ceasefire in Yemen while speaking at an event at the United States Institute of Peace.
The war between Houthis and the Yemen government started in September 2014, after the former attacked the capital city of Sanaa and seized its control along with other northern cities, including the port of Hodeidah, after advancing from the northern stronghold of Sadaa. This provoked military action from Saudi Arabia, which led the coalition and launched an aerial strike on the country in March 2015 to restore exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's government.
During the event, Mattis pinned the blame for the conflict on Iran, saying that it is them "who keep fueling this conflict and they have to knock it off." (ANI)

iocl