Washington D.C. [United States], November 25 (ANI): The United States has condemned the Egypt mosque attack that claimed over 200 lives and wounded scores of worshippers and has described it an 'act of evil.'
"This terror attack on those at prayer is an unconscionable act of evil. We will continue to stand with Egypt and the Egyptian people as they face the scourge of terrorism," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement.
US also offered condolences to the families and friends of the victims and wished those injured a quick recovery.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump has dubbed the terror attack as 'horrible' and 'cowardly'.
In a tweet post, Trump said, "Horrible and cowardly terrorist attack on innocent and defenseless worshipers in Egypt. The world cannot tolerate terrorism, we must defeat them militarily and discredit the extremist ideology that forms the basis of their existence!"
Horrible and cowardly terrorist attack on innocent and defenseless worshipers in Egypt. The world cannot tolerate terrorism, we must defeat them militarily and discredit the extremist ideology that forms the basis of their existence!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 24, 2017
"There can be no tolerance for barbaric groups that claim to act in the name of a faith but attack houses of worship and murder the innocent and defenseless while at prayer," White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement that followed Trump's tweet.
An explosion took place at a mosque in Egypt's northern Sinai Peninsula when worshippers were carrying out their afternoon prayers.
Following the explosion, gunmen arrived in cars and opened fire at the fleeing crowd.
According to sources, most of the people who came for prayers were friends and family of the security forces.
The injured have been rushed to hospital.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.(ANI)