Washington [United States], May 21 (ANI): President Donald Trump on Monday clarified that the US has not reached out to Iran for talks.
He also said that Tehran has to approach Washington if it wants to negotiate.
"The Fake News put out a typically false statement, without any knowledge that the United States was trying to set up a negotiation with Iran. This is a false report," Trump wrote in a tweet without specifying any report.
"Iran will call us if and when they are ever ready. In the meantime, their economy continues to collapse - very sad for the Iranian people!" he tweeted.
....Iran will call us if and when they are ever ready. In the meantime, their economy continues to collapse - very sad for the Iranian people!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 20, 2019
This comes a day after Trump threatened Tehran saying if the country wanted to fight then it would be the "official end of Iran".
Iran's nuclear project has emerged as a great faultline in Washington-Tehran relations.
Concerns about a possible conflict have flared ever since Washington ordered carrier strike warships and B-52 bombers off the coast of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to counter an alleged and unexplained threat from Iran.
Washington deployed more troops in the Persian Gulf, one of the world's most strategic waterways, in what the US officials claimed was a reaction to photographs showing Iran loading missiles onto small traditional boats, The Times of Israel reported.
Amid rising tensions in the Gulf, Iran last week rejected negotiations with the US and said it was showing "maximum restraint" after Washington sent extra military forces to the region.
In the past week, Iranian foreign minister Javad Zarif had also made trips to India, Turkmenistan and Japan after Iran vowed to keep selling oil to its main customers, especially China even if it had to undertake indirect means. (ANI)